Sunday 2 August 2015

Welcome to my teaching blog!


Kia Ora and welcome to my teaching blog.
My name is Becci Huls and I am a teacher at St Joseph's School in Oamaru. I have been teaching for approximately nine years, three of those here at St Joseph's. I have taught from Years 0-8 throughout the South Island. My particular passions in education are based around student wellbeing, dynamic and vibrant literacy programmes, and integrating art into the curriculum. I consider the wellbeing of students the top priority of my "job", as it is very obvious to me that an unhappy or disengaged student is not going to learn or reach their full potential. I place huge importance on the relationships I develop- not only with my students, but their whanau, my colleagues, and the wider school community also. My drive to create and maintain a safe, nurturing and engaging environment is what keeps me going! This year I am putting a significant amount of time into study- I am currently working on my second Religious Education paper (working towards a Diploma in Religious Education) and a Certificate in Mathematics Teaching through the Open Polytechnic. Being a lifelong learner and continuing to grow and develop your practise is vital as a teacher in the 21st century. Currently I am the homeroom teacher to a Year 6 class, working in a hub of three teachers and 90 years 6, 7 and 8 students. We are on a learning journey to create ELS (Engaging Learning Spaces) in a traditional setting. I am using this blog as a record of my professional development, appraisal documentation and to meet the Practising Teacher Criteria.
I will post thoughts and experiences on this home page. I hope this blog may be of benefit or even a source of inspiration for other New Zealand teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment